- Our Learning
- Home Learning
- Year 5 Resources
- Previous Daily Home Learning
- Summer 2 Home Learning
- Week 1
Monday 1st June 2020
- Watch the BBC clip ‘What is an invention?’ (See task sheet for link). After watching the clip, write your own definition of what an invention is.
- Read the key inventions text (see link or printed version)
- Based on what you have just read, select the invention you think is the most important. Write down which invention you have chosen, a short description of it and why you think it is the most important.
Maths: E-learning task: Rounding decimals to 2 decimal places (on ‘The Maths Factor’ website)
Paper task: Rounding 3 decimal places to 2 decimal places
Tuesday 2nd June 2020
- Read the comic about Tim Berners-Lee, the man who created the World Wide Web (see link)
- Once you have read the comic, write a short biography about Tim Berners-Lee’s life.
Maths: E-learning task: Multiplying a decimal by a single digit (on ‘The Maths Factor’ website)
Paper task: Multiplying a decimal by a single digit
Wednesday 3rd June 2020
- Read about three inventions which were discovered by accident (see link)
- Once you have read this, watch this clip about another invention which was discovered by accident – the potato chips (known as crisps in the UK) -see link.
- Write your version of the discovery of potato chips using the same format as this article.
Maths: E-learning task: Divide a 1 d.p. number by a whole single digit number
(on ‘The Maths Factor’ website)
Paper task: Divide a 1 d.p. number by a whole single digit number
Thursday 4th June 2020
- Read about 10 of the latest inventions created (see link)
- Imagine you are to write a countdown of the Top 5 Latest Inventions for a technology magazine. Select your top five, based on the ten you have just read about, and write your countdown. Try to include a short explanation of what the invention is and why it features in your Top 5.
Maths: E-learning task: Re-cap of equivalence of fractions and cancelling fractions(on ‘The Maths Factor’ website)
Paper task: Re-cap of equivalence of fractions and cancelling fractions
Friday 5th June 2020
- Select your favourite invention that you have looked at this week. Imagine you have been asked to create an advertisement to sell this invention on the TV.
- Write a script for your advert. Think about including persuasive features in your script such as: the invention benefits, appealing adjectives, a snappy slogan, facts and offers.
- If possible, once you have written your script, you may choose to video the advert to send to your teacher.
Paper task: Arithmetic: Twinkl Test 2
To prepare you for this you can also practise your Arithmetic skills on https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/mental-maths