Welcome to the start of the Spring Term. I hope you have had a lovely break and a ready to learn lots of exciting things.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns about your child.
Miss Critchley & Miss Canty
Topic this half term – Rock and Roll
This half term we will be learning all about rocks. In Science we will be comparing and grouping different kinds of rocks and looking at the difference between soil and rock.
In History we will be learning all about before, during and after ice age. We will look at the significance of the complexitiy of building the stonge henge, and think about the landscape and animals that lived during the ice age.
In Geography we will be investigating earthquakes and volcanoes. We will think about what they are and why they happen.
This half term we will be focusing on the following areas:
- Place value (addition and subtraction)
- Fractions (Division)
- Measurement (volume, capacity, and mass)
- Counting, sequences and multiplication
- Multiplication and statistics
This half term we will be writing a story with a theme and a poem with a theme.
This half terms recommended books are:
- Stig of the Dump by Clive King
- Stone Age Boy by Satoshi Kitamura
- Fossil Girl by Catherine Brighton
- Caveman Manners and Other Polite Poems by David Steinberg
Please could children have their reading books and reading records in school each day as we will be listening to them read regularly. Would you please ensure that you sign the reading record when you have listened to your child read at home. Please encourage your child to read at least 4 times a week at home.
- Children will have regular spelling sessions in which they will develop new spelling strategies. Spellings will be sent home weekly, please encourage your child to practise at home.
- The children will also have timetables sent home weekly, to practice for a test of Fridays.
- Homework will also be given out each week alternating English or Maths, which will be due in each well on Wednesday.
lease ensure that children have a full P.E kit in school at the start of each term. P.E will be on Wednesday and Thursday. They need black pumps when working indoors and trainers for outdoors.